The Woodcrest congregation officially revised the church’s mission statement
to more accurately reflect our spiritual growth and how we fellowship with each other
and the community: “A church that is Bible based, Christ centered, Holy Spirit led and Mission bound. We are here to glorify God by changing lives through Worship, Discipleship,
Fellowship and Stewardship.”
Woodcrest United Church of Christ was organized by The Reformed Church of the United States in 1940. The present building at 8107 Thouron Avenue in the east Mt. Airy section of Philadelphia was completed in 1941 with a membership of approximately 100 adults. Organizations like the Women's Guild, the Woodcrest Men, and the Youth Fellowship helped to promote fellowship among members and raise funds for the new congregation.
In 1945 a parsonage was purchased at 8042 Michener Avenue and the Junior Choir was formed. A new organ was dedicated to celebrate the church's 5th anniversary. The Friendly Young Mothers Group and the Sunshine Ladies filled needs in the lives of many of the Woodcrest women. A Brownie troop and Cub Scout pack were organized and sponsored by the church during the next few years. Woodcrest became an influence in community affairs. The need for school facilities in the area was brought to the attention of the Board of Education, resulting in the founding of the Edmonds Public School.
During the 1940's and into the 1950's, membership continued to grow slowly but surely. In 1955, the new parsonage (adjacent to the church) was built and dedicated. In the late 1960's, as the makeup of the community changed, Black members were welcomed into the congregation. During the early 1970's, Mt. Airy was a neighborhood in transition and membership declined as many older members moved out of the neighborhood and into suburban or retirement communities. Throughout its history and even as the makeup of east Mt. Airy has over the years, Woodcrest has remained a mainstay of the community.
Woodcrest has been blessed with eleven permanent and several interim and supply pastors during its history. Our first pastor was Dr. Albert G. Peters and our last permanent pastor was Rev. Carolyn E. Wright. Each pastor brought their unique gifts and innovations as different ministries were established to meet the changing needs of the congregation and the community.